FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Beyond scared....

Tomorrow is my first big girl interview at Neil Armstrong Elementary here in Bettendorf, IA. Its for a Special Education Resource position. I'm beyond scared. The interview team will consist of 5 professionals. I will have 30 minutes worth of interview questions, then I'm going to teach a lesson to two 3rd grade students. The lessons is about introducing a book about dinosaurs. I'm very prepared and organized. I'm not worried about the teaching part.

Today while I was preparing for the interview, I decided I would make homemade fossils for the children to find in a box of sand. I even bought some toothbrushes for them to use to carefully move the dirt away from the fossils. A few months back, my husband and I went hiking behind our house and we found a muskrat  skull. PERFECT! I used a hammer and a screwdriver to break the skull down into individual parts. I got pottery plaster from Hobby Lobby and use a bowl to create a mold. Once I dumped the plaster into the bowl, I placed the bones in and let the plaster harden.


Muskrat skull=fake fossil


first mold with fossil


decided to make another mold with fossil


box of sand with fossil hidden underneath.

close up of the fossil....I think this is pretty cool! :)


after using a toothbrush to excavate the fossils
















I hope the students like this and thinks its awesome! In fact I hope the principal loves it and gives me the job! :) I'll keep the six of you updated!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment