FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Monday, January 2, 2012

Coffee Table Dilemma




To start this post, I want all of you to know that this post is derived from my husband’s frustration about having things on the coffee table that are distracting to him when he is sitting on the couch trying to enjoy a movie or a football game. When it comes to decorating the coffee table in my house, I’m lost. I don’t know what I want there and I don’t know where to find it. Here is what I know: the decor need to be long and lengthy. It needs to be bulky because my coffee table is quite large. The décor needs to be flat (hence the frustration). In the past I've had large glass hurricane candles holders and every time I found my husband moving them when watching tv. Truth: Sometimes my decorating isn’t functional and I complete own that!

Here is my coffee table as of today:

To say the least, I'm not happy with it. What makes a coffee table functional? Are they supposed to be just for tea, coasters, beverages, and magazines? 

Here are some decorating tips that will help if and when you want to spruce up your coffee table. I'll definitely be using these this week while I'm out shopping.

       ~ Keep accessories low, don’t put anything on it that’s too tall and will obstruct your view. Since coffee tables are often in the center of a seating area keep accessories close to the tabletop. 

       ~ Beautiful books make excellent accessories. Stack a pile of three or four hardcover books for a lovely display. 

       ~ When accessorizing, keep in mind all the colors you have in the room. Repeat colors for maximum impact. This will help give the room a layered effect.

       ~ Give a personal touch. Add a piece that reflects you. Just limit, too many will make your table look cluttered. Consider putting one on top of the stack of books. The contrast in shape will be visually striking.

       ~ It’s can be handy to have your display on a tray. Gives your table a classy style and can be used to remove the display quickly if your table is needed for another use. Keep coasters on this tray to ensure guests will not put drinks directly on your tables finish.

      ~ Resist the urge to cover the entire space. Leave room to put down drinks, a magazine etc... You don't want to cramp your everyday living.

To end this post here are some pictures that are giving me inspiration to decorate my coffee table this week/weekend:




What does your coffee table look like? Do you have one? I'll be posting picture of my first attempt at decorating my coffee table soon.

Thanks for visiting my page. I really enjoy decorating, doing fun, crafty projects and blogging allows me to stay focused on doing what I love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment